Bideford Bay Creatives (BBC) are a not-for-profit community group created in July 2009 in response to there being a large number of creative practitioners in Bideford, Northam, Appledore and Westward Ho! but with no formal way of networking, sharing ideas and generating new projects to bring vibrancy and creativity to the town centre.
BBC works towards creating opportunities for the local community (people, businesses, voluntary groups and arts organisations) to host events and activities and get involved with the arts. Our emphasis is on cultural tourism, economic regeneration, community involvement and partnership working.
The group’s Chair is freelance Project Manager Sadie Green, with support from fellow Committee members: Dave Green, Bert Bruins, Janis Glover, Duncan Hopkins, Gillie Jackson and Clive Simpson.
The aims of Bideford Bay Creatives are to:
- Promote awareness of the arts as a means for creative people and communities to share their experiences with each other and with other practitioners
- Promote awareness of the arts as a means for creative practitioners to share their experiences with communities on a District/County, Regional, National or International scale
- Create opportunities for new projects that will promote practitioners, create new work and develop audience for the arts
- Seek to develop partnerships with other arts and non-arts organisations, community organisations and businesses in the area
- Set up and up-date a blog/web site
- Provide information about current exhibitions and events throughout the Bideford Bay area
- Actively encourage and promote the work of its members and others within the Bideford Bay area
- Work towards setting up a database of members, interested bodies, contacts, funding, exhibiting opportunities and residencies
- Support and develop young emerging creative practitioners
- Further the continuing professional, and business, development of members through provision of workshops and training
- Work towards sustainability, to recognise and protect the high quality natural environment and for the Association’s activities to continue long-term
Sadie Green is an experienced freelance Project Manager and has been initiating, co-ordinating and managing arts-based projects since 1999. Sadie is Chair of the Bideford Bay Creatives.
A photographic artist who has built up a unique vision of the world through his digitally constructed images.
Born in the Netherlands, I was given a set of oil paints at the age of 13 and have played with many styles and media since.
Duncan Hopkins is a multimedia artist based near the coast, and is currently developing drawings and paintings linked to that nature. Interests include astronomy, gardening and electronic music.
Passionate about the patterns and marks in the Devon landscape and its’ coastline, I paint draw and sculpt from my studio by the sea.
As visual artist, teacher, writer, I enjoy working in a variety of different areas and disciplines. I’m passionate in using the arts as a health tool and run art groups in the Mental Health.